Sec. Carlos Jericho L. Petilla
Legazpi City, Albay
May 27, 2015
– First of all, I would like to thank the National Power Corporation, the Department of Energy and the people of Albay for spearheading this very timely topic which discusses something which I know is very familiar. Actually, our purpose besides giving you these sessions is the reality that we want to see for ourselves how aware are you that our Department exists. I know that our sector is often misunderstood and only mentioned when situations happen like blackouts, oil hikes and others. We are here to send a message that we are from the Department of Energy and we are here to serve.
– Indeed, we have literally wrestled with the different challenges we came across, I admit, it is not easy and I believe that everything had its own purpose. If not for these tests we will never be proactive enough to look forward in preparation for our future. This has been the mission of the DOE, to be an energy efficient and independent nation.
– This is a very ambitious mission, and in reality though efforts are now being made, if we will not join the bandwagon, no matter how hard we try, it will always remain futile. We don’t want to suffer this kind of tragedy where our people will be victims of their own indifferences to their country and fellowmen. That is why we are motivated to introduce to you several ways in which you can be part of the solution than just mere spectators from afar. We are gearing towards collaboration and your assistance is highly appreciated and your involvement treasured and welcomed.
– Last year, the Department issued a circular concerning conservation. Everyone is included in this because this a Filipino inspired movement. Though only voluntary in nature, we see this as a new breed of bayanihan where people would communally support the objectives of the Department for the greater good of the people. Since January, and even last year, we have been active in speaking with different universities, communities and business organizations for this energy conservation endeavour and thankfully everyone welcomed the idea. I am sure that you too would agree when I say that all of us need to do our part to save energy and to use it wisely.
– Conservation is not only a project of large establishments, big houses and others. This is an endeavour that all of us must adhere to. We are all Filipinos and we are all living in this country. We have this moral obligation to take part and to join an activity that brings us closer and more united. If this is the only way by which we can illustrate how united we are as a people, then I am deeply honoured for being here to say congratulations for we did all our part. The quest is far from over, but in every step we take the closer we are to the realization of our goals and aspirations.
– On behalf of the Department of Energy, I challenge you to continue being active nation-builders, partners of the country towards progress.
– Maraming salamat at mabuhay tayong lahat!