Before entering public service, Carlos Jericho “Icot” Loreto Petilla is a businessman involved in a private corporation and has established the following companies:
- Direct Data Resources, Ltd. in 1989 with office in Emerald Avenue, Ortigas
- Decision Support Systems, Inc. in 1991, Pasig City
- Data Conversion Technology, Inc. in 1992, Kamias, EDSA, Quezon City
- Accudata, Inc. located in Leyte in 1993
- International Data Conversion Solutions, Inc., registered as an IT enterprise with the Philippine Economic Zone Authority was established in Mandaluyong in November 2001.
- Accudata, Inc. Batangas in 2005, Batangas City
- Coredata, Inc. in 2008, Mandaluyong City and Leyte Province
- Freight Process Outsourcing Solutions, Inc. in 2014 a year after Leyte was hit by typhoon Yolanda. FPOSI is a BPO company serving American clients.
He is also part owner and consultant of Direct Data Capture with business offices in United Kingdom, USA and Datahold in London. The companies he has co-founded is already 25 years and can give process outsourcing services to the Philippines, USA, Canada and Europe. His companies has employed over 4,000 Filipinos to date.
He is a graduate of Management Engineering from Ateneo de Manila University. After graduating in college, he briefly taught Information Technology in Ateneo and thereafter worked as Consultant/Programmer in various multinational IT companies.
Born and raised in the province of Leyte, he comes from a family of public servants. He is the son of former Leyte governor Leopoldo E. Petilla and incumbent Palo Mayor Remedios L. Petilla. His brother Dominic L. Petilla is incumbent governor of Leyte.
He is married to a Cebuana, Frances Ann Basilio-Petilla and they are blessed with five children, namely Carlos Anthony, Nicola Marie, Jose Lorenzo, Frances Mikayla and Danika Pilar.